As a sidenote, we also have an orange county suicide cleanup website to help service those in need of orange county biohazard cleanup services. Likewise, for the same reason, we keep an orange county crime scene cleanup web site on the Orange County Internet for the same reasons our Orange County blood cleanup web site remains working -- to help the public meet their cleaning needs
Keep in mind, sewage cleanup equals biohazard cleanup. Work safely because sewage cleanup has many unseen biohazards.
- Anything in contact with sewage is contaminated and during sewage cleanup anything contaminated becomes sewage waste, solid waste, or something to clean.
- Wash hands frequently.
- Disinfect as you work when possible.
- Change work gloves as needed and do not reuse.
- Foot gear includes waterproof rubber boots to keep feet dry.
Clean-up Procedure after Sewage Cleanup:
Cleaning supplies remain in an easily accessed area free of clutter before, suring, and after sewage cleanup. Wet/Dry vacuums, mops, trash bags, disinfectants, brooms, buckets, cleaning products, and gloves.
Separate soiled property from clean propety for detailed cleaning and disinfecting, or disposal after sewage cleanup.
Sewage soaked property requiring safe disposal in most cases includes the following:
- Large carpets
- Books and paper products
- Foam rubber
- Food in metal can once cleaned and disinfected may remain for use. Otherwise, food becomes a possible biohazard.
A chlorine solution with detergent, 1 teaspoon bleach for 2 gallons of water usually fulfills disinfecting needs.
Property requiring disposal as biohazardous includes the following:
- Mattresses and pillows
- Upholstered couches and chairs
- Carpet padding
Start sewage cleanup in one room and complete it before moving on.
Remain aware of cross-contamination by mis-using cleaning solutions and rinse water.
Sewage cleanup's best practices suggest using bucket for a cleaning solution. Use another bucket for a clean rinse water. Apply solution while not directly contacting the soiled area; ringing out a micro-fiber towel over the cleaning area releases enough cleaning solution to begin scrubbing with a srubbing towel. Replace the scubbging towel until soiled beyond use. Begin scubbing with another until soiled beyond use.
Rinse bucket serves for clean rinse towels only. Once clean rinse towels become too soiled to perform as rinse clean rinse towels, begin with another clean rinse towel soaked in the clean rinse bucket water.
Use an approved disinfectant on all cleaned areas.
Thoroughly dry out contamineated property. Vintilate and circulate air with fans. Open windows, door, closets, and cabinets. A dehumidifier should be used if needed.
Large quantities of sewage and contaminated debris should go to a sewage treatment plant whenever possible. Do nt dispose of these materials in landfills or storm drains.
Hard surface cleaning requres a detergent solution followed by disinfection.
Sunlight's UV radiation helps destroy biohazard soil and sand. After 20 days grass usually returns to its pre-incident biological condition.
- Use bunding to halt sewage migration during sewage cleanup. For large spills embackments built from eath, brick, stone or other impervious materials will do for bunding.
Never dispose of sewage or sewage liquids in an area exposed to people.
1st Choice: Non-sudsing household cleaners.
2nd Choice: Laundry soap or detergent.
1st Choice: 10% solution of liquid bleach (3/4 cup in 1 gallon of water).
2nd Choice: Household disinfectant such as quaternary phenilic or pine oil disinfectants (check labels).
After Indoor, Outdoor Sewage Cleanup
- Thoroughly wash hands with soap and warm water.
- Thoroughly clean cleaning equipment, supplies, equipment and protective garments and masks. Use detergent then disinfect (or use a combined product) or discard mop heads.
- Thoroughly wash contaminated clothes in hot water and detergent.
- Injuries and illnesses related to sewage cleanup requre medical attention.
Keep in mind, sewage cleanup equals biohazard cleanup. Be safe; work safe in Orange.